Sunday, July 8, 2007

Cabin in the Woods

Our trip to Broken Bow was wonderful and so relaxing. We really did not do much. We arrived at our cabin around 6:30pm Friday night. Rodney turned on some tunes and Tobey danced while we got dinner ready.


After dinner we went for a walk to a little pond not far from our cabin. Tobey got to carry his very own flashlight and he was very proud of it. We also saw lightening bugs and I chased a few and caught them and felt like a kid again. I am smiling now as I think about it.



Then we came home and jumped in the hot tub. It was quite warm so we just let Tobey sit on the side. I didn't want him to get overheated. I could only stand it for about 15 minutes. Then we sat on the bed and ate grapes and teddy grahams and played. Then lights out. Our little boy was wired. He wiggled and squirmed and giggled and gave us each about 5 kisses. Finally he got still and all three of us drifted off to sleep to the sounds of crickets chirping. I swear it sounded like they were in the bed with us. The next morning Rodney got up and made pancakes and sausage patties. I sat out on the porch swing in the back and watched some squirrels chasing each other, read the Word, and had some sweet reflection. My main thought that morning was how quiet and still the woods were. The trees so tall and silent and steady. God reminded me how important it is and what peace can be found when you are quiet and still before Him. Late morning we ventured out of our cabin and drove through Beaver's Bend. We took a little train ride through the forest. Tobey did not seem all that impressed. He was very quiet and still during that ride. Maybe he was having some reflection too. The conductor told us the origin of Beaver's Bend. It is actually named after John Beaver who came to the land as a pioneer and business entreprenuer. He fell in love with a Choctaw Indian princess and her father gave him 3,000 acres as a wedding present. Some of that land is now Beaver's Bend. I was drawn to the love story. Rodney didn't even hear it the first time. I had to repeat the story back to him.


After the train ride we drove around for a little while. Rodney really wanted to do the paddle boats but I didn't feel comfortable taking Tobey out in deep water. We found a little playground with picnic tables and decided to stop and eat our lunch. We made friends with the local squirrels and Tobey found some rocks to throw.




Back at the cabin we all kind of did our own thing for a while. I laid on the futon and read. Rodney laid on the bed and watched TV and fell asleep I think. Tobey just roamed around playing with his cars. Every once in a while he would come up and pat my face and babble to me. Then we all got in the hot tub again. We had turned the temperature down quite a bit the night before so it was not quite so hot for Tobey. I don't know how long we stayed in but I got out before the boys. Later, Rodney made a fire and we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. Tobey is in love with marshmallows now.


After dinner we had the biggest scare of our lives. Tobey fell off the counter. I was standing right in front of him, took my hand off of him for a minute to open his yogurt and give it a stir, and the next thing I knew he fell backwards off the counter and I couldn't stop it. It happened so fast. I am sick to my stomach just writing and thinking about it now. It is the most stupid mistake I have made as a Mommy. I screamed and ran around to the other side and he was laying face down. Rodney and I checked him from head to toe and then I lost it. I know I should have been calm for him but I couldn't stop my sobbing as I clung to my little boy. Rodney was so sweet as he consoled us both. Tobey and I laid down early that night and he did his usual squirming and chit-chatting which I was so thankful for. The next morning I let Rodney sleep in a little bit and I got up with Tobey and made breakfast. Then we had to pack up and check out. It was sad, I didn't want to leave. We will definitely go back and stay longer next time. We went back to Beaver's Bend and looked around the gift shop and museum and then we drove around for a spot where we could wade in the water. We found the Lost Creek and it was perfect for wading. It is actually part of the Mountain Fork River that flows out of Broken Bow Lake. The water was ice cold. My little boy who is usually scared of the water was not scared of this creek. He did not want us holding his hands and he would have sat right down in the water if we had not stopped him. He and his Daddy had fun skipping rocks on the surface of the water while I snapped pictures or dangled my feet in the water. It was the perfect ending to our trip.








6 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

This post is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. You guys are such a sweet family. I am so happy you got to take this amazing vacation just the three of you. Sweet memories.

Amanda said...

What a fun trip! I need to keep that place in mind!

Charity said...

Hi...thought I'd check out your blog. Your little man is adorable! They are so much fun at this age!! We certainly have a lot in common. I really admire you for working in the Neonatal Unit. I have always worked on the oncology unit at my hospital. It can be a sad place, but I sure do love my patients!

It looks like you guys had a great time on your trip!

Nice to "meet" you!

pinkmommy said...

Consider yourself tagged! Drop by my blog to see why.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I love your trip and 4th of July pictures and posts! Did you know the same thing happened to us with the fireworks!? Come on, Irving...let us know when you're switching the location!!!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.