Sunday, July 1, 2007

Mixed Up Vacation

You know those times when you really have your heart set on something and you make plans that you are really looking forward to. And then something happens and they change and your sad but it all works out in the end. Well, we were supposed to travel to Corpus Christi this next week while Rod is on vacation. This was THE family vacation for the summer. We were going with my cousin, wife, and their two adorable girls. I was so excited about spending time with them and seeing my sweet Aunt Gracie whose husband is stationed their right now. Our flights were booked, our hotel was booked, and our rental car was booked. We were set. Late last night I got a call from my cuz and they just sold their house and have to be out in three weeks. He was very stressed knowing they still have all the paperwork to take care of and they need to find a house ASAP. Plus he talked to my Aunt Gracie and she said it is supposed to storm all weekend and the mosquitoes are horrible in Corpus right now so we had to postpone our trip. I was so sad. I had been looking forward to this trip for weeks and Tobey's first time at the beach. I had already taken time off from work and I just NEED to get away and do something fun. So after canceling all our reservations, I started researching a bit and decided on renting a cabin for the weekend. I had just been talking with a friend at work about Beavers Bend in Broken Bow, Oklahoma so I did some searching online and just about every cabin I liked was already booked up. I finally found a really cute one that had two days available. So instead of going to Corpus and hanging out with my some of my extended family we three are taking our family trip to the wilderness. I can't wait. We are going to fish, collect rocks, roast marshmallows, wade in the lake, cook pancakes for breakfast, stargaze, and just play! So Tobey will not get to go to the beach for the first time but I actually think he is going to love our semi-camping experience even more. I am still sad about Corpus and the fun times we would have had but I am filled with anticipation about our new trip. I can't wait to view the star glittered night that is miles and miles away from the bright lights of our city. I can't wait to experience the quiet and serenity and to have my quiet time in the midst of it. I can't wait for quality time with my two most favorite people. Who knows, this may be the start of a new tradition for our family. So our mixed up vacation is becoming a blessing in disguise.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Y'all are going to have so much fun! The cabin looks so neat! There is nothing more frustrating than it raining during your beach vacation, so this is a good move. I can't wait to hear how your trip goes! Maybe the Jones fam will need to make a visit there one day.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Love the cabin! I'm craving pancakes right now so bad! We have looked at Beaver's Bend online too...it looks fantastic. Please take advantage of that hot tub!

Murrell Family said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm glad that you get to take a vacation just the three of you...it will be wonderful!

Janelle and Ella said...

You are going to have so much fun!! I can't wait to see all the cute pictures that are going to come out of this trip!

Anonymous said...

That will be lots of fun!! I love that little cabin.
We did something similar years ago up in Arkansas. Lots of fun campy things to do!! Have fun and travel safely!!

pinkmommy said...

Sounds like a great trip! I love slowing down and getting back to nature every now and then!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, first time here. I'm impressed that you re-grouped from your disappointment and made new plans with such a positive attitude. I want to be like you when I grow up, even though it sounds like you're half my age in reality!