Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Worst week ever & an amazing birthday celebration

Last week was probably one of the worst weeks of my life. Tobey and I both came down with a really nasty stomach bug. I stayed near a bathroom for 4 days straight. Tobey had it worse than me though. While I had Imodium as a friend he had nothing. Plus he started out vomiting but by the third day he had it on the other end too. It was sooo miserable. On the 4th day which was Wednesday Tobey went all day without peeing. I was a nervous wreck. I called the doctor's office several times that day and they reassured me to keep pushing fluids and to bring him in if he didn't pee for 12 hours. He finally went that evening. I woke him up several times during the night and made him sip water or sprite (he refused the pedialyte) and he woke up with a wet diaper the next morning. We already had plans to drive to San Antonio on Thursday and go to Sea World on Friday. Then on Saturday we were meeting up with Rodney's whole family. It was a big surprise for Rodney's dad who is turning 60 today. I was apprehensive about leaving but I was encouraged by the fact that Tobey woke up with a wet diaper. I was much better by this point but just drained and weak and probably a little dehydrated myself. We decided to go ahead and leave that morning. Tobey did really well all day. He didn't get sick once and although he didn't have his appetite back he drank quite a bit. That night at the hotel he had a major explosion of nastiness. We ended up just throwing his clothes away. Which was quite liberating after the many loads of laundry I had washed all week. After that episode we went to dinner and he actually ate more than he had in 5 days. We didn't go to Sea World on Friday (boo!) because we didn't want to push him too much. Instead we took him to the San Antonio Childrens Museum and stayed for about an hour. Then we walked over to the River Center Mall and ate lunch and ordered a cookie cake for Rodney's dad. Tobey did well all day Friday and never got sick. However he threw up every other day of our trip. He would start out well in the morning eating and drinking and then late afternoon he would get fussy and throw everything up. Then he would feel better and continue eating and drinking the rest of the evening. It was so frustrating and I felt so sorry for my little man. If we hadn't been celebrating Phil's birthday then we would have stayed home. We made the best of the trip though and I am so glad we went. I wish I had a picture of the look on Phil's face when all his kids walked into the restaurant where he and Pat were eating breakfast at on Saturday morning. It was priceless. He was so surprised and Pat was thrilled because she had been planning this for months behind his back. It was just awesome. For three days we all just hung out. We went to the Alamo that first day because Phil LOVES the Alamo and we ate Tex-Mex for dinner in the hotel room after we enjoyed cookie cake and Phil opened presents. Sunday we got up and and had a late breakfast on the river walk and did some shopping in the La Lavita village. Then we went back to the hotel and swam and Tobey took a much needed nap. That night we all got spruced up and headed over to the Tower of the Americas for dinner. The food was amazingly delicious. Tobey got to run through the fountains after dinner and afterwards he just kept saying "I got wet, I got wet". On Monday Tobey woke Rodney and I up early and the three of us had an early morning stroll on the river and shared some pancakes while everyone else slept in. Once we checked out of the hotel we drove over to the Market and looked around and ate some wonderful and authentic Mexican food. I really enjoyed my food on Sunday and Monday! Then we headed out for home. Rodney's youngest sister Libby rode home with us while Pat and Phil stayed behind to get Jeff and Shanna to the airport. Praise the Lord Libby rode home with us because Tobey got sick in the car and I was sitting right beside him. If she hadn't rode with us I would have been in the front seat. I was able to grab a blanket and use it to catch everything. It was awful. I was so glad to finally get home. To top it all off I accidentally gave Tobey organic milk instead of Soy milk yesterday and he had a bad allergic reaction. Hives, more throwing up, and wheezing. I was devastated that I did that. In the two years since we found out he is allergic to milk I have never done that. I bawled when I realized what I had done. I gave him benadryl right away and made him an appointment with our pediatrician. Then he started wheezing and thankfully Pat was with me and was able to give him a breathing treatment in the car on the way to the doctor's office. By the time we got there the benadryl had kicked in too and he was much better. The doctor just jokingly said well now you know he is still allergic. He said to just keep giving benadryl for the hives and continue breathing treatments. We talked about why Tobey kept throwing up over the weekend and he just said his stomach was probably still sensitive from his stomach virus the week before and he should be better this week. He did not throw up at all today! Thank goodness. I think we are at the end. And that was probably the longest post ever but believe me my week was even longer. Here are a few pics from our trip.


This is outside the Children's Museum. This statue appropriately says "First Born". Tobey is sipping on his sprite.

Car Show outside the Alamo


Tobey and his PawPaw. We are eating at the top of the Tower of the Americas.


Phil with all his kids

Uncle Jeff led the way to the fountains.

Rodney even got a little wet too!

Jeff and Shanna not being serious

Silliness at El Mercado

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, Cassi! That is just awful! I'm really sorry y'all had such a bad few days with Tobey's health. Your family celebration sounded so fun. Happy birthday to your sweet father in law!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

That stinks that poor Tobey wasn't feeling well. Sounds like he had a good time anyway though! I bet you are glad to get him home, and get the bug out of both your systems.

Shamu will always be there!

Janelle and Ella said...

This story gave me goosebumps when Pat was telling me last week. I wish I could have seen the look on Phil's face. Y'all are such a sweet family!!!