Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Eve of Anticipation

The eves of holidays are all about anticipation aren't they? On Christmas Eve we anticipate the arrival of Christmas morning and finally opening those presents that have been sitting under the tree for weeks. On New Year's Eve we anticipate the arrival of a new year and a new beginning. And then there is Thanksgiving Eve. The sweet anticipation of a heavenly feast. My stomach is growling righ now but I refuse to eat. I have to save room for all the delicious food I will eat tomorrow. My house is filled with the aroma of sweet pecans. I am in the process of baking two pecan pies that I will take to work with me tomorrow night. Yes, I have to work on Thanksgiving night since hospitals never shut down even for holidays. But my coworkers and I are having a wonderful feast. So I will have Thansgiving twice. Once tomorrow at noon and then again twelve hours later at mignight. That is the time I usually eat dinner on nights that I have to work. So tonight I will let my stomach growl in anticipation of stuffing myself silly tomorrow. I was over at my Mother-in-law's house tonight helping her prepare for tomorrow and my mouth was watering at all the good food she was making. She is the best cook and I have learned so much from her through the years. Although my versions of her recipes never turn out quite as good as hers. Today she let me help with the stuffing and it smelled so delicious. I can't wait until I taste it tomorrow.

I want to share a very easy recipe for Frozen Fruit Salad that has been passed down to us from my hubby's Memaw. When we got married she gave us a cookbook and on one of the pages she wrote this recipe down and titled it as one of my husband's favorites. At the next holiday gathering this dessert dish was missing. When everyone wondered aloud where it was she bluntly stated that she no longer would be making this but that Rodney and I had the recipe and we would do it from now on. Well okay! We have tried to live up to it because it is something of a tradition. While I was preparing my pecan pies tonight, Rodney made the Frozen Fruit Salad. It really is yummy and super easy so I thought I would share. This is my first time to post a recipe so here it goes.

Frozen Fruit Salad:

Ingredients-
1 package of cream cheese (10 oz)
1 package of frozen strawberries (10 oz)
1 large carton of cool whip (8 oz)
1 large can of crushed pineapple
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (we prefer pecans)

Mix cream cheese and sugar and then add all the other ingredients. Line two loaf pans with foil and pour mixture into them. Then freeze overnight. You can also use one large loaf pan and fill it completely instead of two loaf pans. It just takes longer to freeze.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

It is all about anticipation! That recipe sounds delicious! Anything with cream cheese in it is #1 in my book.

I know you're probably at work right now, 1 1/2 hours away from your 2nd feast! I'm jealous.