Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Mandisa

It is amazing how God can speak so directly to our hearts through other people. My sweet friend Janelle invited me to a Mandisa concert at her parent's church this past week. I had heard of Mandisa but only through Janelle. She was a finalist on the 5th season of American Idol which I did not consistently watch. So I did not see the famous episode where she sang Shackles but I have seen it live now which is even better. I honestly did not know much about her. She gave a little bit of her testimony throughout the concert and I was so inspired by her courage and her faith. And yes that girl can sing! But she didn't just sing for us, she worshipped with us and ministered to our hearts. I brought my mother-in-law with me and I heard several amens escape her lips. Mandisa said so many good things and I wish I had brought my journal to write them all down. I tried to remember the little tidbits of wisdom that poured from her mouth but by the time I got home I could only remember a few. Maybe they are the ones that God wants me to hold onto. The first one had to do with her struggle with weight. I may not struggle on the same level as she does but I still have so many insecurities when it comes to my weight especially those 10 marriage pounds and 10 baby pounds I am holding onto. As much as I want to lose that weight I feel defeated most of the time and I feel less than beautiful most of the time. She said that when she is faced with a craving for food that is not caused by hunger that she tells herself that this cannot fill her up the way that Jesus can. She may be satisfied for a little while but only Jesus can satisfy us completely. Amen! I know this in my heart but it was so refreshing to hear someone else be so honest about their own struggles. She also talked about praising God for what he has done in our lives and how she could have turned out so differently if Christ had not changed her. I am sure every Christian relates to this but it is so true for me. Jesus changed my life and has blessed me with so much. When I think about my family and where I have come from, I know that Christ is the only reason, the only thing that sets me apart from members of my family that are struggling right now. She just beautifully expressed herself and her thoughts and God used her to minister to my heart. He is so good like that and I declare His praises!

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

2 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I am so jealous of y'all getting to go to Mandisa! If I were in town, I totally would have been there! SO fun!

Janelle and Ella said...

This is such a great summary of the night!! I'm so glad you guys came with us. It was definitely meant to be.