Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Project

I guess it was about a year ago when I woke up one morning and stepped out of bed on my way to the bathroom. I went a few steps and felt wetness seep through the carpet between my toes. I knew something was not right. I made it to the bathroom but the tile was dry as a bone. So we were a little puzzled about where the water was coming from. We eventually found out that we had a leak under our bathtub and the only way to get to it was to to lift the bathtub up. We thought about it for a while and decided to take advantage of the situation and make a walk in shower in place of the tub. I would have loved to have put in a garden tub but we just don't have room for that. So we purchased the materials for the new shower. Thankfully we have two bathrooms because we are just now getting to it. Rodney finally got some vacation time to devote to the project. I kind of added some work for him because I said it would be nice to just go ahead and makeover the whole bathroom. It is a pretty hefty project and he only has one week off from work. So we are just trying to get as much accomplished as possible. He spent Saturday night, Monday, and Tuesday just gutting the room and gathering supplies. We had to pick out tile and a new vanity. I have spent so much time at Lowe's and Home Depot this week and have tried not to complain b/c I get really restless in these stores. I just want to get in there and get out but it never happens that way. Wednesday and today were devoted to plumbing because there were more issues then we originally thought. Rodney's dad Johnny is a licensed plumber so he came over and helped out. They also got the shower pan installed so we are making progress. Tomorrow Rodney is going to get the walls up and maybe start tiling. I can't wait to see the finished project. Here are a few before pictures. It looks pretty scary right now but I will keep ya'll updated on the progress. Rodney goes back to work on Monday and will have to try to get it finished in his spare time which is sparse in itself. My goal is to not pressure him even though I am itching for it to be done.

This is the original vanity. My new vanity is a smaller dark brown cabinet with a marble top and white sink. It is really pretty and elegant. The faucets will be a brushed nickel. No more gold please. We are slowly eliminating all the gold hardware in our house.

This is the old bathtub. My friend Melissa was over when Rodney and his dad rolled the tub out on a dolley. She asked me if I was sad to see it go and I said nope!

This is the old tile, The new tile is darker and has more color variation.

The gutted room. It is kind of creepy. This is our master bath by the way so it opens straight into our bedroom. I made Rodney hang a sheet over it so I could sleep.


I think he may have enjoyed that sledge hammer a little too much!

Hooray! It's a shower pan!

5 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Wow, Rodney is a handy man! I can't wait to see the finished product, and you'll love your walk-in shower!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting! I can't wait to see the after pics! And, you're a lucky lady to have Rodney to do all the work for you!

Julie and Alberto Robles said...

Awesome! I love a good home project. Can't wait to see the final photos. I'm sure you can't wait either! I'm with you, I want the gold on my teeth, not on my faucets. Haha!

Julie and Alberto Robles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle and Ella said...

That is quite a project!!! I am so impressed! It's going to look so good when it's done. Can't wait to see pictures.