Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Car trips, Concerts, and Circus Clowns

Last week was hectic and fun. On Tuesday some old friends of mine that I used to work with came over for a playdate. They both have little boys who just turned one. I loved that age with Tobey and had fun watching them waddle around. At first Tobey was not too keen on our house guests but he warmed up by the end of their visit. At one point I was holding little Elliot so my friend Tricia could set up his pack-n-play for a nap. I looked over at Tobey and he was actually pouting. I called him over and asked him if he would like to have a little brother like Elliot and he said "No, Tobey". He is a mama's boy, what can I say. It was a fun day and we enjoyed catching up with each other and showing off our boys. On Wednesday we went to the waterpark again. This is probably our 10th trip this summer so we have definitely gotten our money's worth. On Thursday my cousin Nikki came to our house and picked Tobey and I up. We piled into her suburban with her two kids for a road trip to see Foxy Granny. It is always eventful when you get three small kids in the back seat. I so admire moms who handle that everyday. We got out to my Aunt's house around 3pm and stayed until 10pm. We bathed the kids before we left and Tobey fell asleep on the way home. I still felt bad that he didn't actually get into his bed until 11:30pm. He was supposed to go to KDO on Friday but we did not wake up until almost 9am which is what time his school starts. I could have rushed around and gotten him there just a few minutes late but he was so tired I let him lounge around and watch cartoons while he ate breakfast. Later we left the house and both of us got haircuts. Then we went to pick up the invitations for his choo choo party coming up next month. I cannot express how awesome it is to ask your child what he wants and actually get a valid response. Although I usually try to give him options such as milk or juice, apple or banana, blue shorts or gray shorts. I love how he will look up at me, and then look up at the ceiling and go uhmmm...this one! A couple of weeks ago I asked him what kind of birthday party he wanted and he said uhmmmm...choo choo party. After we picked up his invitations we met Rodney at On the Border for lunch. We shared the new grilled enchilada and a bowl of queso. It was perfect! Then came home and Tobey took a nap. Even more perfect! That evening Rodney's mom came over to babysit while we went to the John Mayer/Colbie Caillat concert with our friends Melissa and Jimmy. It was my first time to see John Mayer live and the concert was awesome. All I have to say is that boy can play the guitar. The concert started almost a hour late because the power went out so it wasn't over until almost midnight and then we got stuck in some awful traffic in some very shady parts of south Dallas. We should have left a little early but we waited for his encore performance of Gravity. If you've never heard the song go listen to it now. Melissa met us at our house and rode with us to the concert and then Jimmy came straight from work. After the concert Jimmy went on home and Melissa rode back with us so she could pick up her car. Jimmy went out a different way than us and somehow missed all the traffic. He was home before we even made it to the freeway. We were a little peeved. (Sorry Melissa!) We did all agree that JM's performance was worth waiting an hour in traffic. Seriously go listen to Gravity now!



We finally got in bed around 1:45am and then we got up the next morning and took Tobey to an 11:30am performance of The Greatest Show on Earth. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought these tickets so close to each other. Tobey was a little leery at first but warmed up to the show after he got a snow cone in a lighted plastic cup for $15. Honestly I was a little bored with the show. It was cool but just didn't hold the same appeal as the circus did when I was a kid. We will not be going back next year. Maybe when our next child is old enough we will make a second appearance. After the circus we went home and I crashed for three hours because I had to work that night and the next.






My plan is to keep it low key this week and get some things done around the house. We haven't left the house today and we are still in our pajamas. I think I will keep it that way, I see no need to get dressed now. Here is some randomness. Tobey has started calling me mom. Not all the time but sometimes when he wants something he yells through the house Mooommm! I don't like it. Is he really big enough to call me mom! I want to be mommy a little bit longer please.

3 comments:

Julie and Alberto Robles said...

Hey Cass, looks like your week was pretty eventful. How is the bathroom remodel going? I can't wait to go to the bathroom at your house the next time you host Bunco! Well, I'll admit that I never called my mom "mommy", but I love her to bits! Be happy that Tobey loves his "mom". And just be thankful he's not calling you Cassi!!! Or Daddy!!!

Anonymous said...

Tobey looked like he had a great time at the circus!
Miss Your Smile!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

We just got back from the circus in Ft. Worth this weekend...looks like the Dallas seats were a LOT nicer than our rickety ones!

And Ava totally calls me Mom too. Ridiculous!