Thursday, August 16, 2007

Reading Rainbow

I love, love, love to read. And it is very important to me that my son will enjoy reading to. From very early on I started reading to Tobey. Like when he was still in my tummy. I received the book "I'll love you forever" at a shower. I would sit in the rocking chair in his nursery, prop the book on my round belly and read out loud and sob at the end. I was just a little emotional. I would also read out loud during my quiet times so that he could hear the Word. I have continued reading since. We read together EVERYDAY, usually several times a day, especially before naptime and at bedtime. We have been reading more than usual this last week because we both have had a summer cold and that is about all mommy has had the energy for. We have also watched cartoons while mommy napped on the couch. The last month or so he has become very opinionated about what we read. I pick up a book and say "this one", while he grunts and emphatically shakes his head no. We go through 3 or 4 books until I pick up the "right" one and he grins and nods his head yes. Sometimes he will actually say yes but only if he feels like it. Our library has expanded dramatically over this last year because I joined a children's book of the month club. I like variety and get tired of reading the same books over and over. We also go to half price books quite a bit. Tobey loves picture books where he can point out different items as I say the name and animal books and anything by Sandra Boyton. We especially love the Belly Button Book. There is nothing that makes me more proud than when I walk in his room and he is sitting in his rocking chair with a book propped open. It is just too sweet and I think too myself "keep on reading darling and expand that imagination".



4 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

Such a big boy sitting by himself in his rocking chair and reading! Oh my goodness. Okay next I see you can you give me some pointers on reading to your baby. I try and try but Ella barely lets me get through the first page before she's over it and moving on to something else. It is starting to get a little better.
Hope you guys are feeling better.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Ava has a belly button book too that she loves. Does the little baby hippo call it a Bee Boo? So cute!

Charity said...

Sweet! Sweet! Landon has just now been able to sit still long enough to let me read him a book! I so enjoy it too!! I have got another book you need if you don't have it already...Landon and I read it every night! Actually I memorized it because for the longest time he turned the pages before I was able to read it. It is " I Love You Through and Through" by Bernadette Rossetti- Shustak. It is precious!!

Murrell Family said...

We love "I'll Love You Forever" also! I used to read it to Joshua everyday when he wasn't a mobile boy. Now if he won't sit still long enough, I at least sing the song. I love the pictures of Tobey sitting in his chair with his book!