Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Feel the Burn

I rolled out of bed this morning and every muscle in my body hurt. I am feeling the burn. Yesterday I worked out with my sweet sister-in-law who just happens to be a personal trainer. I have been working out on my own for about a month now and our schedules happened to coincide yesterday. I had been on the treadmill for about 20 minutes totally engrossed in All My Children playing on the TV in front of me when she came up beside me and put her face right up to mine and scared the living daylights out of me. Considering my heart was already racing at 135 bpm it is amazing I did not have a heart attack on the spot. I must have been really engrossed in the daytime drama because she really caught me by surprise. You know what else is amazing? I have not watched the Children since I was on maternity leave almost two years ago and I easily grasped the plotline which had not changed much. Back to the burn. While Libby did her 10 minute jog on the treadmill, burning more calories than my 30 minute walk, I decided to try out the Elliptical machine. I have been eyeing it for weeks but avoided it because I didn't want to make a fool of myself. Well Libby gave me the lowdown and I hopped on. When I finished, 5 minutes later, every muscle in my thighs and buttocks were burning. Then we went downstairs to do some strength training. We did regular crunches and crunches balanced on one of those exercise balls. Those are the ones that did me in and now I feel like my ribs are bruised and it hurts when I cough or laugh. We also did something called the Cobra and I am sure I looked hilarious doing this one. We laid on our stomaches with arms out beside us thumbs up and arched our backs and shoulders to raise our chests off the ground. This was a back strengthening exercise which I definitely need. Working out on the treadmill is easy for me because I can just tune into the TV for 30 minutes or listen to my music but the resistance training takes so much more will power because well.. it burns, literally. But it is worth it or so I keep telling myself. And now that I have gotten into the routine of exercising it is time to increase the load, raise the bar, pump it up, or whatever you want to call it. Speaking of burn we are at the moment getting doused with a heavy rainfall. Considering the temperatures have been scorching the last couple of weeks we needed a nice cool down. And there is thunder rumbling. It is the perfect snuggle up on the couch reading a book while the child naps weather. Hmmm.....I've gotta go!

3 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I am impressed with your workout! I haven't been in a few weeks, and I HAVE GOT TO GET BACK INTO IT!

Charity said...

You go girl with your exercising self!! I really need to get into some sort of exercise routine myself! It is just so hard! I enjoy walking with Landon, but it has been WAY too hot lately, even early in the morning!! It certainly helps to have a work-out buddy!

Janelle and Ella said...

I am so proud of you/incredibly impressed!! You are my inspiration!

I missed you so much today at playgroup. Seriously, I am having playgroup withdrawals. What in the world that I can't make it to any? I'm so sad.