Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Transformations

If you are into God's amazing transformations, you must check out the new book by Brian Welch called Save Me From Myself. He was the lead guitarist for Korn which I had vaguely heard of when I saw this book at Barnes-n-Noble. I was just walking by the new non-fiction section when this book caught my eye. Because I have family members struggling with addictions right now I was drawn to the title and the caption underneath "How I found God, quit Korn, kicked drugs, and lived to tell my story". I started it that evening after Tobey went to bed and finished it the following evening. I was just drawn to this guy's story. He starts off with alot of back history. I must warn you there is some offensive language but he was living an offensive life. He was living the rock-n-roll dream yet he was so unhappy. He states many times that he had it all but something was missing. I was torn reading about his many addictions and his struggles to quit. He tried many times but always went back to the drugs and hated himself for it. I have never struggled with an addiction but like I said I have several family members who have and some who still are. This book gave me such insight into their inner struggles with themselves and God. I was reminded of sin in my own life and how at times I willingly disobey God and always feel terrible for it. Welch describes a time that he found some speed hidden in his closet. At this point he had found Christ and had been delivered from his addictions. As much as he did not want to do the drugs, he did them anyway and found that they did nothing for him. He did not get that same "high" as before. After that he went through his house and found all the stashes and flushed everything down the toilet and sais he has not touched drugs since. Amazing. I was singing God's praises and rooting for this rocker guy all throughout this book. I loved the part about his tattoos. After he was saved he added several to his collection because he felt God telling him that they would be an example to the world that God loves those crazies with tatoos too. He had the verse Matthew 11:28 put on his neck because this was the verse that God used to call out to him and Jesus on the fingers of one hand and love on the fingers of the other hand. He describes the moment he asked Jesus into his heart, "It just felt like he poured out liquid love into me. It was, like, just so awesome" and he also sais that God is "irresistable". I so agree. I was so encouraged by this guy's transformation from a hard rocker to a man on fire for Jesus. Praise you Jesus that you are calling men and women from all walks of life so that together we can relate your love story to the world. Awesome!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That's so awesome! I need to get that. Hope you guys are having a good week!

Janelle and Ella said...

This gave me goosebumps! Can I borrow it? :-)

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

After Janelle, can I borrow it too? I had no idea about him.

Charity said...

I will definitely have to get this book!