Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Final Countdown

We leave for our ski trip in 10 short days. I am very very excited. It is just about all I can think about. This will be our first vacation since Tobey was born. We went on a little weekend outing this past summer but this time we will not be bringing the Tobester along. I do have mixed feelings about leaving him behind but I have to admit I am kind of excited too. And I feel really guilty about it. Thankfully he has fallen head over heels for his Mimi and PawPaw in the last month. So the timing could not be more perfect. I doubt he will even notice we are gone. I will miss my little man but it is going to do this Mommy some good to get away. My plan was to get out of the house and do some shopping for ski clothes today among other things like getting soy milk for Tobey. Well this morning when Tobey and I got ready to leave I couldn't' t find my keys. We searched high and low. I even checked the front door because I have been known to leave my keys in the door over night. Finally I went out to the car and peeked in and there they were innocently displayed in my cup holder. Rodney had driven the night before and he used his set of keys to drive my car. I locked the front door as we were coming out of the house and I guess I just dropped them into the cup holder when I got into the car instead of placing them in my purse. I was a tad bit upset with myself. So we were stranded. Tobey was not very happy with me either because I had promised him doughnut holes that morning. So I went back in the house, put my pajamas back on and started making pancakes for Tobey which he grudgingly ate. It really was a blessing in disguise though because I had a ton of work to do around the house. I am hosting a baby shower at my house for my friend Suzanne on Saturday and my house is not up to par. It is mainly just cluttered with a certain little boy's toys. I went through all of Tobey's toys and packed away the ones that he is too big for now. His toys have a way of migrating to the living room so I transferred all of those wandering toys back to his bedroom. I left one small basket for all of his balls. I finally moved his train table to his bedroom. It has been in the living room floor since Christmas morning. That alone was a major improvement. I also had loads of laundry which I got started on. So I really had no business going shopping. But then my mother-in-law called during Tobey's nap and said she would come over and I could take her car. She is SO wonderful. I found all of my ski gear and everything was 50% off. I was very happy about that. So now I am set and patiently counting down the days. Since I am really hyped up about skiing in 10 days here is a list of my 10 favorite things about ski trips!

10. Believe it or not but I actually like the long drive it takes to get there. I like being on the road driving towards a new adventure. I love the anticipation that builds and builds as you get closer and closer to the mountains. We are going with a group from church and I will be bringing some cards along to play in the van. And I will catch up on some reading and dozing.

9. I won't have to fix my hair because I plan on wearing my black toboggan 24-7.

8. I will actually get to wear some of my winter clothes because winter is kind of scarce in these parts. We have seen a few chilly days but not many.

7. Mountains! I love being in the mountains. It always calms my spirit so. I get so excited when they first come into view and I watch and watch as they loom bigger and bigger in the horizon. It must have something to do with growing up in the flat plains of Texas.

6. We usually will ski in the morning and then take the chair lift to the very top of the mountain and eat lunch. Most resorts have a restaurant or snack bar at the top of the mountain and the view is spectacular. We have never been to this resort but hopefully that is the case. There is nothing like eating on top of a mountain peak. And then we ski the rest of the afternoon.

5. By the end of the day you are worn out but those sore muscles actually feel good to me. I really like the tired and sore feeling after working out and it is kind of the same thing. I know that's weird.

4. The cold mountain air. Who needs make-up when you have the rosy glow of wind chapped cheeks! Maybe just a little mascara and lip gloss and your good to go.

3. Mountain tubing. The last time we went skiing we also went night tubing and it was lots of fun. This resort has tubing also and I plan on doing it again.

2. Snow, Snow, Snow!

1. Being with my one and only doing something we both love and enjoy. Rodney is a much better skier than myself but he is always so patient with me. And he never pressures me to go down a trail I am not ready for. He is a great ski partner!

6 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

So exciting! You guys are going to have so much fun!!

suzy said...

ugh, i'm so jealous! maybe next year we can join you guys... it's been so long since i've been skiing - waaaaaayy too long!

Amanda said...

I'm so excited for you and Rodney to have some time away together. You're gonna love it.

Murrell Family said...

Being in the mountains is sounding really good right now! I know that you guys will have a great time together!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

If forgot to ask you when your ski trip is yesterday! I knew it had to be coming up.

You're going to have so much fun, and I love your top 10 list.

Your keys in the cup holder made me reminisce about my key escapade on Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip!
~Lori