Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Crazy nights!

Tobey is going through a new phase. It started a week or so ago when he was taking a prescription cough medicine along with his breathing treatments. The two did not mix well. On the second night of this regiman he really fought his bedtime and when I went into his room at midnight to check on him he was not in his bed. My heart literally stopped beating. I frantically searched his room and found him on the floor behind his train table and under the curtains snuggled up to the wall.

I don't know what he was thinking. Of course I called Rodney in and we both had a good laugh before we put him back in his own bed. That same night he woke up around 3:30am wired. It took a full hour to get him settled back down in his own bed. He was also acting strange and silly. He asked me several times while we were sitting in the dark "what's that". At one point when I was trying to encourage him to lay back down he tried to pick up something on his bed but there was nothing there. Once he laid down he held his hand in front of his face and just stared. It was weird and if it had been daytime I might have called the doctor. I think he was hallucinating or something. So we nixed the cough medicine and he slept through the next night. Now he has these random nights where he wakes up and comes strolling into our bedroom at odd hours of the morning. I am not liking this new phase. Because it requires one of us to get out of bed (usually me) to take him back to his room. It is just wrong to get out of bed at 3:30 in the morning. I don't know how I did it when he was a baby and I can't help but wonder how hard it is going to be when another addition comes along. Am I really ready? I don't know the answer to that. Needless to say I have been a sucker twice this week and may be starting a very bad trend. Tobey wondered into our room Monday night and in my half asleep slumber I allowed him to crawl in bed and cuddle up with me. I awoke an hour later very hot with my son's sweaty head pressed against my cheek and my arm pinned underneath him. This is why he does not sleep in our bed. It just is not comfortable. I nudged Rodney and he got up and took Tobey back to his bed. Of course he woke up and was back in our room in less than five minutes. So I had to get out of bed anyway and sit with him until he got sleepy and could fall asleep again. Then last night he showed up again around 1am. I was so so tired and Rodney was out of town so I just let him in the bed and he slept there the rest of the night. I don't really mind him sleeping in our bed occasionally but I don't want this to be a nightly thing. I am going to have to be consistent in taking him back to his own room which requires me to get out of bed. Maybe this is preparation for another child or potty training. That's another thing I am not looking forward too. Man I am just full of negativity tonight. Sorry! Anyway we have started "potty time" everyday. Tobey gets to wear his big boy underpants while I follow him around and ask him every five minutes if he needs to go potty. We usually do this for an hour or so and then I put his diaper back on which he hates. His underoos have Thomas the train on them so of course he is in love with them. I tell him that he has to go pee pee in the potty so he doesn't get Thomas wet. So far he hasn't gone in the potty and Thomas has gotten wet. This is the point where I usually put the diaper back on. But I am working on consistency here and if we do it everyday then I believe he will "get" it. Then maybe I will be brave enough to let him wear his Thomas undies more than an hour a day.

4 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

The picture of Tobey on the potty COULD NOT BE CUTER!

suzy said...

a crazy imagination is a sign of giftedness, i should know... :-)

Janelle and Ella said...

Oh my goodness, so much to comment on.
The picture of him sleeping by the wall is so cute. I know Ella will do that when we move her to a big girl bed.
I am so impressed with all your new mommy adventures. I am learning lots from you. First, about the big boy bed and now about potty training! That is a great idea. I'm totally copying it. Keep me posted on any other good ideas you have on that one.

Charity said...

Girl...Landon still gets in our bed anywhere between 2-6am! I too just let him in our bed. The good news is he NEVER leaves his room or wanders around! He just cries in his bed until I get him. He is sleeping longer and longer in his bed. I hope he is going to grow out of it!

The whole potty thing is cracking me up! Landon also has the Thomas underwear! He LOVES to tee-tee in the potty, but when I put his pants on OVER the underwear, he wants the underwear off and his diaper back on!! WHAT TO DO! I bought some pull-ups today to try in transition! I totally know what you mean about dreading this process!!!

Tobey and Landon are SO in the same stages! We WILL make it through...I think! Ha!