Monday, May 28, 2007

Adventures in Walmart Land

Walmart is a frequent stop in my household. I really prefer Super Target but try to do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart because it is cheaper. A visit to Walmart or any store for that matter is always an adventure when you have a toddler. Some things are a necessity for grocery shopping. I would never enter a store without 1) Sippy cup, 2) snack of some sort, 3) Pacifier-although this one is losing interest with my little one 4)Hand sanitizer/wipees, and 5) Advil. Tobey usually grows quite restless while in the store because his Mommy is a long winded shopper. I can go in for milk, end up browsing through the whole store, and come out with five bags. I have a partner in crime though. My mother-in-love. She is just as bad as I am. We often go shopping together. Even if she doesn't need a thing she will ride with me and keep me company and help with Tobey.

I have to detour here and say a few things about my Pat. She is the best mother-in-love ever as well as friend. I can call her up at any time and she will be there. Pat has been the example of a wife, mother, and servant of Jesus that I want to be. She is beautiful and I love her dearly!

Okay, back to Walmart. Today we needed milk and shampoo. I thought, Walmart has both of those, so I called up Pat. She said yes even though she is wearing a boot on her right foot and is waiting to have surgery to alleviate intense pain she has been experiencing in that foot. She has a heart of gold. I dropped her and Tobey off at the front entrance and parked. Today is Memorial Day and Walmart is a little more packed than usual so I have to park a ways out. Once inside, I spot Tobey with his Mimi and meet up with them. Tobey will not sit in the buggy like a normal child. He has to stand in the back part of the buggy. Am I a terrible mother because I let him? The buggy is never left unattended and sometimes it is just easier to give into his demands. We start shopping. Stop. Tobey is already a little fussy and I realize that it is his lunchtime so I grab a happy meal. He eats while we shop. Perfect. Our shopping continues. Stop. Tobey is thirsty but his sippy cup is empty and I have to fill it up again. We continue shopping. Stop. Tobey spits out chewed up french fries and nuggets and I clean him up. Time to put the happy meal away. He ate almost two nuggets though. I am impressed. We continue shopping. Stop. Tobey gives his Mimi a mischievous grin and she stops to see what he his doing in the bottom of the buggy. We finally make it to the checkout with two buggy's worth of groceries and realize our groceries are integrated. We began to sort through what belongs to who. Tobey really gets into handing Mimi cans out of the buggy and even throws a few on the floor. He is such a helper. As we are paying Tobey finds his happy meal and begins shaking the nuggets and fries out into the buggy and floor. I am able to save a nugget and a few fries. Tobey eats a fry.

Finally we are done. As we make our way to the exit, each of us pushing a buggy, we see that it has started sprinkling. I offer to get the car and Pat says she doesn't mind getting a little wet. Halfway there, as I was thinking this is kind of refreshing, it starts down pouring. Pat and I both scream as we race to the car. She is trying to hurry as fast as she can but her boot is slowing her down. Tobey is still standing in the buggy and begins to cry as he is pelted with raindrops. We reach the car and I get him in first thing. Pat and I load up the groceries getting soaked at the same time. As we close the trunk, the rain stops. I look over at Pat and her mascara is streaming down her face and we are both laughing. Where was the camera? Lord, thank you for the rain, thank you for my mother-in-love, thank you for the adventures in life that can be found even at Walmart.

Tobey and his Mimi

4 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

This story put a smile on my face!! You are SO blessed to have Pat!! She is the kindest and most generous woman I know.
We have definitely been there at Walmart, even though my heart also belongs to Super Target. It's not that bad yet for us, but we are getting close. Things to look forward too!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Love the story...sweet Pat! You are blessed. And I can relate...every Monday at Super Target, the longer-winded I get, the crazier Ava gets!

Kristin said...

Cassie,
First of all, I am glad to know that Tobey has been exposed to DP and is turning out perfectly fine/adorably cute!!!
I just got sucked into your blog and this post was hysterical! I have a sweet mother in law just like you and I thank the Lord every day for her!!!
Hope to see you soon!

kittyhox said...

What a great story. You are so blessed to have such a fun MIL! How neat for your husband and son, too.

What a cute adventure! Life was never so interesting before becoming a mama, right? It was easier, but a lot less interesting.

:) Fun stuff!