Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Blessings of Encouragement

I debated on whether or not to write this post but I was so touched and encouraged this afternoon that I wanted to share. Today I met a group of women at The Cheesecake Factory. We ranged in age from 60 to 20. We gathered there to encourage a sweet sweet young woman. A friend of mine who is pregnant and giving her baby up for adoption. This friend of mine and I grew up together in our youth group. She was a few years younger then me but we were still friends. We were in our church's drama group together and endured many interpretive movement performances. She was quite good and had more of the speaking roles. I was happy to be in the background with my cheesy arm movements. Those were great times. She is also blessed with a beautiful singing voice which I have not heard in a while. She went away for college and strayed a bit in her walk as so many of us do. She recently moved back home after finding out she was expecting. The father is not involved and she has decided after lots prayer that the right thing to do is to give her baby (a girl) to a loving family where she would have a mom and dad. Her courage is amazing. Instead of a shower a couple of girls from my church decided it would be nice to just take her out for a brunch and love on and encourage her. I am ashamed that I did not think of this myself but I was so happy to go along. It was an amazing afternoon to see all these Godly women loving on my friend who really really needed to know that her church loved her and supported her and most of all that we do not judge her. I pray that she felt the love of Christ through all of us. We laughed and cried and shared stories of our own labors and most importantly shared some fabulous cheesecake. I was blessed by just being in the midst of this loving atmosphere. She timidly asked details about labor and epidurals and what to bring to the hospital. I have noticed that most women are eager to share the details of their own birthing experience and hear the details of their friends birthing experiences. It definitely brings a group of women together. Sadly enough we all left out the part of holding our child for the first time and how special that moment was. It didn't seem appropriate or beneficial to go into those details today. My friend was very open about the adoption plans but admitted that she doesn't know how she will feel when she actually sees her baby girl. There is that part of me that wants to pray that she will fall head over heels in love with her new baby and that she will not be able to go through with the adoption. But I don't think that is the right prayer in this case. I really feel that God has a hand in this whole situation. He is definitely in control. So more importantly I pray for peace for my sweet friend, for a confidence and assurance from God that this IS the right thing to do, that this IS His plan. And if not, then He will allow her to fall head over heels in love and that He will give her the courage to take on the responsibilty of motherhood. Whatever move she makes will require courage and a Christ-like strength. Her due date is actually tomorrow and if she does not go into labor on her own by Thursday then her doctor will induce. If you think of her this week will you pray for her and the decision that will have to be made. I have decided to not give her name out for privacy issues but if you go to my church then you may know who I am talking of anyway. I also encourage you to seek out those who need encouragement. You will be blessed. I know I was.

5 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Cassi, your prayer for her is perfect. I will pray the same thing. Either way, she is a brave woman.

Charity said...

I believe your prayer is right on! I have never had a friend in her situation, but I do know many who have adopted children! They LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those adopted babies like they were their own!! Those babies are such a tremendous blessing to parents who aren't able to have children of their own!!!
If it is God's will for her to put her baby up for adoption, I am sure He is placing that sweet girl in the arms of LOVING parents that won't know what they did before they had her!!!
I will be praying for her!

Janelle and Ella said...

Wow, Cassi you are an amazing friend. This is such a tough situation. As moms we know that there is nothing better than the love for our baby and those moments that we fall more in love with them. I'm sad for her that she won't have that. But your prayer is exactly right for her!! Hopefully she will feel a peace with the decision she makes either way. I will definitely be praying!

emily said...

i will also keep your friend in my prayers. i actually found your blog from another blog where you commented on "trying" for your son for almost 2 years. i came here to see if you blogged about that as my husband and i are coming upon 2 years with no pregnancy yet. we are turning toward adoption soon so it was interesting that i came upon this post. does she have a family picked out for her baby? i will pray that she makes the willed decision when her baby is born. i'm certain that you are a good friend and positive influence on her!

Anonymous said...

Hey! The sweet girl was born Tuesday night at like 10:17pm. She will be at Baylor Irving until tom. morning I believe.
Love you!