Sunday, September 30, 2007

State Fair Highlights

We hit the State Fair yesterday afternoon and it did not disappoint. Despite the sweltering heat we had a blast. Here are the highlights:

A free train ride from the parking lot. Maybe they have done this in years past but we've never seen it. Tobey enjoyed his first train ride and we enjoyed not having to walk a mile to the entrance.

Of course the food. Rodney had a turkey leg. Tobey and I shared a foot long corny dog that was simply delicious. Sadly that was all we had. I wanted a roasted corn on the cob, a caramel candied apple and a funnel cake but the heat kind of took our appetites away. We spent our coupons on ice cream and ice cold drinks instead. We will just have to go again when it gets cooler ( if that ever happens).

I loved watching my husband watch Boys II Men on the Mainstage. He was really into R&B when we first met (I was not). I quietly tolerated riding in the car with him on dates because he was just so sweet and handsome. I actually came to appreciate this genre of music although my favorite is Babyface (who has a new CD out). We didn't stick around for the whole concert because our little man was ready to see the rest of the Fair but at least he got to hear his favorite song "Down on Bended Knee". Before we went to bed last night he told me thanks for letting him reminisce. The crowd and heat were worth it for those sweet words.

We ran into some sweet friends. We always seem to run into someone we know. Last year it was Heath, Janella, and Ella at the Auto Show. This year it was Curt, Amanda, and Jackson at the Boys II Men concert. Amanda, I never would have thought you guys were B2M fans. If I had read your blog the night before we could have enjoyed them together. It was fun seeing ya'll at the Fair.

There was an exhibit called Little Hands on the Farm where the kids get to pretend they are working on a farm. I so wish Tobey had worn his new boots. Tobey got an apron which I wore because he simply refused to put it on. Considering I have been dreaming about farm life lately, I proudly wore that apron and walked beside him. I was tempted to ask for my own basket. He carried around the basket and collected corn to feed the animals. He watered and picked from a peachtree, collected eggs, planted vegetables in a garden, picked out his favorite vegetable, rode on a tractor to feed the cows. Then he turned all his food in at the market and made a dollar. It was all very cute. They had this exhibit when we went to the Fair last year but he was too small. I remember thinking he will so enjoy this next year and he did.













The Fair is not complete without a stroll through the "air-conditoned" Auto Show. We were ready for a cool down by the time we made it over to the show. Tobey went to town on a popsicle that I never thought he would finish on his own but he did. And I got to sit and "pretend" in my dream car, a decked out Toyota Forerunner.





The Fair is also not complete without seeing a huge hog. This year we made it to the pig races. "Our" pig won three of the four races. We were oh so very proud. Afterwards Tobey enjoyed some time on daddy's shoulders.







I believe Tobey's favorite part was the Children's Barnyard. He fed the animals and pet a very friendly goat. He got very excited when he saw the giraffe and he actually said "giraffe" or at least something that closely resembled giraffe. We saw all kinds of animals. I was very impressed. My favorite was the kangaroo that actually had a baby in her pouch with his little leg poking out. Very cool.







It was a great day at the State Fair of Texas and as usual we saw some oddities. Deep fried Latte! Is it just me or does this not sound like the most disgusting thing ever. It is worse than the year they introduced deep fried twinkies. I guess I am a traditionalist when it comes to my Fair food. Give me corny dogs and funnell cakes but I'll take my cheesecake, latte, and peanut butter & jelly minus the deep fry.

5 comments:

Charity said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! I just love it when places like that have special things for preschoolers to do!!
Also, I am with you, just give me a good old corn dog and funnel cake any day!!

pinkmommy said...

Sounds like an awesome state fair! 90's R&B and a corn dog...nothing better. :)

Lori, Landon and Logan said...

Looks like Tobey had a blast!
Are we in the same room on the ladies retreat this weekend? I am getting excited about NO KIDS! :)

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Yes, I am a traditionalist too when it comes to fair food. I have no room in my stomach for the oddities...only the essentials: corny dogs, caramel apples, funnel cakes, and sausage on a stick. oh, and frito pie.

Janelle and Ella said...

Yea for the Fair!! Sounds like y'all had a great time. I can't wait until we get our turn. Although I will be sad not to run into you guys. That was one of the highlights of our day last year!