Friday, February 15, 2008

The Fog has settled..

In my ear. I woke up yesterday on Valentine's Day to discover I had a hot coal burning in my right ear that got progressively worse throughout the morning. Rodney drove me to a minute clinic. These are new clinics that can be found inside certain CVS stores. They are awesome. I was the only one there and went right in to see a family nurse practitioner. He was so nice. Come to find out adults DO get ear infections and that is what I have. A stinking ear infection. So I got my drug of choice which is amoxicillin and some numbing ear drops. Bless that man's prescription writing abilities. He also recommended some Mucinex DM for my hacking cough. I wanted to hug him but that would have been awkward. We then came home and I sat on the couch and cried for almost a hour because the drops and extra strength tylenol were just not getting rid of the hot coal in my ear that was just getting worse. I really feel for all the children that get ear infections multiple times. It hurts. The pain intensified and I had a strange bussing in my ear and then finally the pain started to go away and I felt like a new person. But then the pressure went away which the FNP warned me about. He said if the pain gets really intense and then suddenly is gone then your ear drum has probably ruptured. Great! Honestly I was relieved to not have that pain anymore though. I was a little worried about the whole ruptured ear drum but I read on the internet that it is actually quite common with an ear infection and usually heals on its own. I took a nap later that afternoon and when I woke up my left ear was totally clogged up and hurting just a little bit. But definitely not as bad as the right one. It lasted all night and is a little better today. Although I still sound muffled to myself, I am only having twinges of pain in both my ears now. This is one Valentine's Day that I am glad is over! But if I had it to do all over again I would make a valentine for that FNP with hearts and glitter and present it to him the moment he handed me my prescription that I did not have to sit in a waiting room for 30 minutes and then the exam room for another 30 minutes to get.

5 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

Cassi, that sounds horrible!! I haven't experienced that since I was a little girl. I'm so sorry! I had no idea about the minute clinics at CVS. That is a brilliant idea.

Charity said...

OH! Let me tell you girl!! I had an ear infection last year!! It is the WORST PAIN!! I too was shocked that I could have an ear infection as an adult! Oh, I am so sorry! I remember sleeping with my "bad" ear directly on a heating pad all night. I don't think it was technically doing me any good, but it made the pain a little more tolerable!

I remember thinking the same thing about how these poor children feel when they have ear infections!! Bless them!

Rest up girl! Hopefully you have paid your "dues" with all of your sickness and will not get sick again for a LONG time!!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Cassi, goodness! You've really had a hard time lately with getting sick! Praying you're past it for good!

suzy said...

get well mama!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea CVS had a nurse that could help! Oh my goodness! Is there a way to locate the ones that do?
I have ear infections about once a year. It might be the most painful thing ever! I don't know how babies do it! I am glad you are feeling better!
Lori