Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Our Hobbies...

We have been busy at the Fann house doing things we love. I found a picture of this wedging table on the Internet and my crafty wood working husband built it for me. A wedging table is used to prepare your clay for the wheel. Clay has to be worked up and kneaded just like dough to get all the bubbles out and to give it a consistent form. The top is covered with a piece of canvas which helps absorb some of the moisture from the clay so it is not so sticky. The wire on the side of the table is used to cut the clay so you can see if it has been wedged properly. The table is perfect. He did such a great job. He is even going to build me another work table to replace our old dining room table which at the moment Tobey is using for his own crafts. I went to Hobby Lobby today to buy the canvas for my wedging table and while I was there I picked up aprons for me and Tobey and some fun stuff for him to do when hanging out with mommy in her studio. So now he has his very own play-dough and water colors. This is a very good thing because the other night when I was trimming a bowl I had made he decided that the clay trimmings would be a tasty treat. This is after I specifically told him to not put the clay in his mouth. He also was taking the dried clay and crumbling it all over the floor. Very fun for him but not so fun to clean up. He liked the water colors the best. I taught him how to dip the paintbrush in the water and then the paint and then the paper. He caught on very quickly.






Eventually he gave up on the paintbrush and started using his fingers. I thought his first water color picture turned out nicely. It is very colorful. Between our wood working, and pottery making, and water coloring maybe we will have a family business one day. Right now we are just hobbyists and crafters using our hands to build items of function and beauty.

4 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

I think you could totally have a family business!! That is the sweetest thing, mother and son playing side by side! Ella and I need to come over for some pottery/paint time.

Murrell Family said...

This is so great! I love that your whole family has gotten into this. And I love your new blog design!

Charity said...

How cute are y'all!? That is a great sunroom too! I am so impressed with your Hubs, that table looks great!

Tobey is so stinkin' cute! I bet he loves hanging out with you while you both have fun with your hobbies!

Also...your new blog design looks great!

Have a great weekend!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I LOVE that bowl! So good. And love the bloggy makeover.