Friday, February 22, 2008

Work In Progress

I finally went and purchased some clay at American Ceramics this week. The last time I threw a pot was my freshman year of college which was 10 years ago. Yeah I am that old. It is definitely a work in progress but today I made a pot. A very small, petite vase. It was my first time to use my new pottery wheel that I got for my birthday. I have a little makeshift studio out in our sun room now. I bought some cheap painter's cloth from Walmart and spread that out in a corner. I am using our old dining room table as a work table even though it is a little wobbly. I have plans on recruiting my handy man to build me a sturdier table. I also have Rodney's discarded bookcase from when he redid his office. I am using that to store supplies and finished pieces. I have a few essential tools and that is all I need for now. So I sat down this afternoon with my freshly wedged clay and slapped it down on the wheel. It took me a good 30 minutes to get that hunk of clay centered on the wheel. My fingers kept getting stuck and pulling out chunks of clay. Tobey stood in front of me and kept asking what I was doing. I told him mommy was making a pot. Rodney came in and snapped some pictures of me in action. I finally got the clay centered and threw a small pot. I still have some trimming to do on it. And then it has to be fired before I can add color with glazes and then fired again at a very high temperature to set the glaze. I am still unsure about how I am going to get my pieces fired. I am working on that but for now I will keep practicing on my techniques and just have fun with it.









4 comments:

Charity said...

I SO impressed! That is totally cool! I can't wait to see it all finished. I bet Tobey loved standing there watching you! Keep us posted!

Amanda said...

Cassi, that is so cool! I'm in awe. We missed you guys this morning, but I know you had a blast at Elmo!

Anonymous said...

That's impressive woman! It looks great!

Janelle and Ella said...

Cassi, that is amazing!! I am so proud of you!! Really!
We missed you and Tobey so much at the party! I can't wait to hear how Elmo was.