Friday, June 1, 2007

Too early for empty nest

Okay, someday I am going to have some serious empty-nest syndrome going on. The morning went well. Tobey woke up in a good mood, had breakfast, got dressed and we were out the door. No time for our cuddle-cuddle in the rocking chair why we watched some toons and he sipped on his soymilk. No we were rush-rush this morning as I encouraged him to eat his breakfast while I got his sack lunch together. We made it to KDO only about 10 minutes late. He was apprehensive as we walked toward the nursery area and cried out when we entered his room. I kneeled on the floor with him and he promptly sat on my purse as if to say "Momma your not going anywhere, you can stay right here". And I did. How could I leave my precious child. I chatted with his teacher and we talked about the routine for the day. Tobey eventually stood up and worked his way toward the toys and I sneaked out unnoticed. As I made my way out of the building tears welled up in my eyes and I rushed to my car very annoyed at myself. Why am I crying? This is a good thing. My previous dreams of him learning so much from the other kids turned into visions of him learning how to hit, bite, pull hair, and throw a tantrum more effectively. What have I done to me my sweet and sheltered and loving little boy? That's when I realized the empty-nest thing was happening to me, only decades too early. So I am thankful for the baby steps we are taking right now because leaving me for good is going to tear me apart.

In the rush this morning I didn't even snap a picture of his first day. So these are just random pictures from yesterday's nap and dinnertime.


I walked in his room and the first thing I noticed-feet. I had to get a picture


I love this sleep pose. He looks like a big boy.


Serious bedhead


He threw his pacifier out of the bed and thought it was really funny.


My little blonde surfer boy can eat him some corn dog

4 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

This is such a sweet post!! Why am I crying right now too? Oh it's because we're moms and I can absolutely relate to this. You are such a sweet mommy.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Cassi, you are not alone. I totally cried in front of all the MDO teachers on Ava's first day. I guess I'll just keep having kids so I can try to postpone my empty nest!

pinkmommy said...

Last summer was my daughter's first MDO experience. It was tough for a while, but now she LOVES it.

She has picked up a couple of not so desirable habits while there, but the good outweighs the bad by far. She LOVES getting to play with all her "sisters". She calls the boys her sisters too. Bless her heart, I need to have another kid...but it better be a girl cause she needs a sister!

Murrell Family said...

You are so sweet and I completely understand your feelings of not wanting to let him out of your sight! I visited his class on Monday two different times...one time he was playing with the other kids and the second time he was fast asleep! What a sweet boy you have.